My fellow Americans - Page 2

Have a question or want to show off your project? Post it! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View
Re: My fellow Americans


10d5b3562bf9@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

 PPpppphhhhhzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!  Go SPAM(tm)
somewhere else.

If the Belgians want AB, they can have it.  I'm sick of their crap beer.  
It pains my German heritage to see what AB has done to Bier.  Es ist
nicht so gut.  Ich will nicht trinken.

Re: My fellow Americans


No Poster wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

So?  Does it somehow cause you grief and pain if *other* people drink
A-B's stuff?

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Which "German heritage" is this?  What has A-B "done to Bier?"

Quoted text here. Click to load it

It is not so good?  Well, at least it's not bad, then.  You don't
want to drink?  Yeah, fine.  So what?

Re: My fellow Americans


On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:43:41 -0700, yedyegiss

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Would it cause you grief if AB switched hands?


Quoted text here. Click to load it

Budweiser has become dilluted over the years.  They add rice to
eliminate cost....not something that you would see a true German
brewery do.


Phil

Re: My fellow Americans


Phil wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Rice is typically more expensive than barley or corn. (Rice is going for
  $20/bushel, v. $7.42/bushel for corn. (CBOT doesn't trade barley
apparently, so I'm not finding the cost.)

They do it to get a particular flavor profile. That profile is wholly
uninteresting, imo. But again, there's no need to make up stuff or pass
on urban legends to make A-B appear bad. They can do that on their own
through some of the things they actually do. Using false claims to say
"A-B is evil" just discredits the whole argument.

-Steve

Re: My fellow Americans


On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 03:49:19 GMT, Steve Jackson

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Rice is cheaper than barley; that's why they use it.


Phil

Re: My fellow Americans


Phil wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

CITE!  PROVE IT!

Re: My fellow Americans


On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 07:56:04 -0700, yedyegiss

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Prove what?  That rice is cheaper than barley?  Or that Budweiser uses
it?


Phil

Re: My fellow Americans


Quoted text here. Click to load it

You've made two claims and provided evidence for neither.

A) Rice is cheaper than barley.

Demonstrated to be false elsewhere in the thread.

B) Rice is used because the company wants to cut costs

This is somewhat dependent on the above unless the people making the
decision are idiots.  Even if we stipulate that they are, you haven't
backed up your claim that cost is the motivation rather than a light,
consistent product.

--
Given their amazing ability to stop dead in their tracks, I can only
conclude that high performance brakes should be made of old people.
    --Michel Buijsman in ASR

Re: My fellow Americans


On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:39:23 -0400, Paul Arthur

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Look up the word 'adjunct' and get back to me, okay?


Phil

Re: My fellow Americans


Phil wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

So now that you've lost the "rice is used because it's cheap" argument,
you're diverting attention and waving your arms while crapflooding the
newsgroup with "helpful" links to Wikipedia, in a feeble attempt to make
that your authoritative source.

Damn, Phil, you *really, really* suck at this.  You always have, and
now you're sucking at it just so very spectacularly, and jerking
spasmodically at the same time.

Adjuncts in beer have multiple purposes.  Sometimes, they are a
cheaper source of convertible starches or fermentable sugars.  And
sometimes, they are used to get a specific flavor profile.  And
apparently sometimes, they're used as an excuse to crapflood a
Usenet newsgroup with tedious, repetitious references that really
don't bolster your argument at all.
--
dgs

Re: My fellow Americans


On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:11:36 -0700, yedyegiss

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Let me know when someone cites a source that says I'm wrong, one that
includes a URL.  Then you can say I suck.

Until then, you can blow me.


Phil

Re: My fellow Americans


Phil wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

This is why you suck so badly at this.  If you make an assertion, the
onus is on you to prove your assertion.  You've already been given
plenty of data to the contrary of your assertion, but insist on playing
your infantile little game of sticking your fingers in your ears and
yelling "la-la-la, can't hear you, I'm right and you're not!"

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Until then, you continue to suck at this, and now that you've been
backed into a corner, your downward spiral is only getting steeper.

*plonk* (again)

Re: My fellow Americans


Quoted text here. Click to load it

   Any modestly educated homebrewer or beer aficionado should know
why the big North American brewers brew the way they do.  I suggest
those who claim it has to do with cost simply isn't very educated.
--

Joel Plutchak                "Beer doesn't stain, if it's a light pilsner."
$LASTNAME at VERYWARMmail.com      - Sheldon Miller

Re: My fellow Americans


plutchak@see.headers (Joel) wrote in news:g3o7hp$fhj$1
@badger.ncsa.uiuc.edu:

Quoted text here. Click to load it
uses


American six row barley does not produce enough starch to convert to
sugars and an alternative to use British 2 row was sought.  AB chose to
rice which boosted the starch levels and added a "cripsness" they now
claim is "drinkability".

Re: My fellow Americans


Phil wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Yes, please prove that. Current prices, in comparable measurement units,
have been provided elsewhere in the thread. Rice is not cheaper.

 > Look up the word 'adjunct' and get back to me, okay?

Look up how much the Belgians and the English use adjuncts and get back
to us, mmm-kay.

The problem is not adjuncts; it's how they're used. Furthermore, the use
of adjuncts by Bud, Miller, etc. is not a cost-saving measure (as
already demonstrated by prices). It's because they are brewing for a
particular flavor profile, and you just cannot brew something as mildly
flavored as that type of lager using 100 percent malt. Adjuncts are
necessary for that flavor profile.

You may not like the beer, but that doesn't mean there aren't reasons
for formulating the recipe the way they do. And it's got nothing to do
with being cheap.

-Steve

Re: My fellow Americans


On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 04:22:13 GMT, Steve Jackson


Quoted text here. Click to load it

I think you have it backwards.  Budweiser didn't decide to use
adjuncts to develop a particular flavor profile.  Its flavor profile
is a result of using adjuncts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjuncts

Phil

Re: My fellow Americans


Phil wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Wow, Phil. You can post links! Good for you! Do you want a cookie?

What's the purpose of posting the same link over and over? To show how
the Belgians suck for using adjuncts? To say what shitty breweries
Fullers and Harvieston and Lees are for using adjuncts?

Or just the hope that if you repeat something often enough, maybe people
will start to believe you?

BTW, go taste a pre-pro lager such as those that have been brewed by
Craftsman, Victory, Capital and others and tell me that the use of
adjuncts automatically creates a dull flavor profile.

Again, you mistake the existence of adjuncts with the way adjuncts are
used.

As for whether the adjunct egg came before the flavor profile chicken,
nobody outside of A-B is ever going to know. But there's little secret
that the brewers' recipes have evolved over time. And one would have to
think that since rice isn't cheaper than barley, they weren't doing it
just for the hell of it.

By the way, you want links for price info (other than the
"authoritative" wikipedia)?

"Between 1982 and 2004, the average monthly price of feed barley in the
United States was 86 percent of the average monthly corn price." -
http://tinyurl.com/4k86w6
(Btw, the same article states that in recent years, malt barley costs
about 70 percent more than feed barley, which still leaves corn more
expensive. So much for using corn as a cheap alternative.)

The previous figures I cited for corn vs. rice came from the Chicago
Board of Trade.

So, please, post that adjuncts link again. It'll so prove that you're
right in spite of the numbers.

-Steve

Re: My fellow Americans


On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 04:31:20 GMT, Steve Jackson

Quoted text here. Click to load it

No, I want you to grow up.
Quoted text here. Click to load it

We're notv talking about the belgians.  We're talking about AB.


Phil

Re: My fellow Americans


Phil wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Well, Phil, in my book, part of growing up includes being able to argue
not through blind assertion or repetition, but by providing evidence
designed to provide support for the claims being made.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Then why do you keep posting a link to "adjuncts" as if that's the whole
answer to the question? And why do you keep asserting claims that others
have provided evidence contradicts your claims? If you don't agree with
the evidence, cite your own that provides a different perspective. And,
no, your links that simply state rice is cheaper, with no numeric
evidence, don't count.

-Steve

Re: My fellow Americans


Phil wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

"Until then, you can blow me."  - Phil, being all grown up

Site Timeline