a question about when to fine

I'm never sure this group is still active, but here goes:
When making a white wine from grapes, I find that the SG is down to 0.992, but I'm still slowly bubbling. I'm assuming that this is dissolved CO2...do you agree?
But even after 2 weeks of the wine at a SG of 0.992, it's still cloudy with only minimal signs of clarifying. I'd rather allow the wine to clear on its own, but I also want to have it relatively clear in time for the really cold winter weather to allow for a good 3 weeks of cold stabilization. Should I fine now with bentonite, or do you think I should just wait it out?
Thanks,
Lee
Reply to
Lee
> I'm never sure this group is still active, but here goes: > > When making a white wine from grapes, I find that the SG is down to > 0.992, but I'm still slowly bubbling. I'm assuming that this is > dissolved CO2...do you agree? > > But even after 2 weeks of the wine at a SG of 0.992, it's still cloudy > with only minimal signs of clarifying. I'd rather allow the wine to > clear on its own, but I also want to have it relatively clear in time > for the really cold winter weather to allow for a good 3 weeks of cold > stabilization. Should I fine now with bentonite, or do you think I > should just wait it out? > > Thanks, > > Lee
I find that the cold often helps settle out the last bit of haze. Put your wine out in the garage for a few days.
Reply to
Steve Peek
> I'm never sure this group is still active, but here goes: > > When making a white wine from grapes, I find that the SG is down to > 0.992, but I'm still slowly bubbling. I'm assuming that this is > dissolved CO2...do you agree? > > But even after 2 weeks of the wine at a SG of 0.992, it's still cloudy > with only minimal signs of clarifying. I'd rather allow the wine to > clear on its own, but I also want to have it relatively clear in time > for the really cold winter weather to allow for a good 3 weeks of cold > stabilization. Should I fine now with bentonite, or do you think I > should just wait it out? > > Thanks, > > Lee
I think 0.992 is pretty dry.
I just wonder if there is gas trapped in the wine. This can make it slow to clear, even with finings. I give mine a shake once or twice a day over 3 to 4 days.
-- Thanks and regards, Shane. "A closed mouth gathers no feet!" Email: Beware the invalid word! shane at wonk dot demon dot co dot uk Website:
formatting link
/
--
Thanks and regards, Shane.
"A closed mouth gathers no feet!"
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Shane Badham

I like to fine my whites with a very small dose of bentonite when pitching the yeast. I generally use about 1/4 tsp per gallon. If you add bentonite now you may get an explosive release of CO2 from the wine, causing it to blast out of the carboy. Work it in slowly and in small increments.
Greg G.
Reply to
gregmg
It is quite possible that the sugar has all been used and a malolactic fermentation of acid is occuring. Check the wine for residual sugar with benedicts solution. If you get only a slight reaction with benedicts a malolactic fermentation is probable. This can be stopped by quite a small SO2 addition.
Bob M www.molab.co.nz
Reply to
Bob M
> "Lee" wrote in message > news:31b0788c-26df-4aeb-8412-0de09fce50d8@fo10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com... > > I'm never sure this group is still active, but here goes: > > > > When making a white wine from grapes, I find that the SG is down to > > 0.992, but I'm still slowly bubbling. I'm assuming that this is > > dissolved CO2...do you agree? > > > > But even after 2 weeks of the wine at a SG of 0.992, it's still cloudy > > with only minimal signs of clarifying. I'd rather allow the wine to > > clear on its own, but I also want to have it relatively clear in time > > for the really cold winter weather to allow for a good 3 weeks of cold > > stabilization. Should I fine now with bentonite, or do you think I > > should just wait it out? > > > > Thanks, > > > > Lee > > I find that the cold often helps settle out the last bit of haze. Put your > wine out in the garage for a few days.
A truly dry wine will give you negative brix readings. Can the finished wine be stored in a refrigerator? Otherwise, with out sterile filtration, you risk re-fermentation.
Don't put wine in the garage if the temperature is lower than 50F. It can damage the wine. Between 50F - 60F will also precipitate out excess tartrates. -- - Billy "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.
formatting link
formatting link
p
--
- Billy
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the 
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Billy

DrinksForum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.