This is my first attempt to make sparkling wine on purpose. I added sugar, yeast, and dry pear wine to four champagne bottles about seven months ago and capped them with bottle caps. After six months of lying on one side, I rotated them 180 degrees and was glad to notice that there was yeast sediment in all four bottles.
After a week or so I noticed a damp spot on the shelf right under the cap of
one of the bottles. In addition, the air bubble in that bottle was twice the
size of the bubble in the other three bottles. I put a small dish under it
and a few days later had some pear wine residue. I guess the turning
released some bubbles from solution, increasing the pressure and causing the
In any case, I performed surgery to try to save it this evening. I put the
leaking bottle into the freezer for two hours. I also put a 12-ounce bottle
of excess pear wine in for one hour. I removed the bottles from the freezer
and popped the cap; there was minor effervescence but apparently it was cold
enough to hold most of the gas in solution. I then topped off with the
excess pear wine and re-capped. I put a dish under the cap to see if it
starts leaking again. Hopefully, it will be properly sealed now and end up
as a good bottle of sparkling wine.
- posted 16 years ago