- posted 11 years ago
Winter Brews Sam Adams beer ices others in taste test RICH SHIVENER | CIN WEEKLY
Seasonal beers - they're cute, but just how good they are can vary.
We asked bartenders Josh Beshears, Brittany Burke and Sarah Crosby to drink some winter brews in a blind taste test and rate them on a scale of 1-10 in two categories.
Find out which would be great for a party - or after a trip to one of the area's holiday events - and which should stay on the shelf.
1. SAMUEL ADAMS WINTER LAGER ($6.79) Flavor/taste: 27 (out of 30) Winter factor: 26 Commentary: "Very flavorful; not bitter at all. Very smooth and easy to drink." - Josh
2. PYRAMID BREWERIES SNOW CAP ($7.49) Flavor/taste: 29 Winter factor: 24 Commentary: "Slightly bitter. Still lighter tasting than a lot of stouts - a bit of a fruity aftertaste but creamy." - Sarah
3. TOMMYKNOCKER COCOA PORTER ($8.99) Flavor/taste: 19 Winter factor: 17 Commentary: "A slight tangy taste. May drink one or two, but I could not drink it all night." - Josh
4. MIXER - COCOA PORTER AND SNOW CAP Flavor/taste: 18 Winter factor: 19 Commentary: "Tangy, tart, but smooth; pretty good. Just not my style." - Brittany
5. ANCHOR STEAM MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR ALE ($9.99) Flavor/taste: 13 Winter factor: 19 Commentary: "Bitter ... hits more in the back of the mouth," - Sarah
* All beers came in six-packs; we bought them at The Party Source, 95 Riviera Drive, Bellevue, 859-291-4007 or www.thepartysource.com.